Got a question? Read our most popular FAQs below.

Colour and Markings

The WPCS can only accept our own current passport forms, which can be downloaded and printed from the Downloads tab of the WPCS website.
If your vet has already completed another form, then they will need to transfer the details and stamp the correct form.

No. Members can only do the markings for their own animals.

The Society allows current members of the Society and owners/breeders who have a prefix registered prior to 1st February 2004 to do the markings for their own ponies; however they cannot do the markings for animals owned by anyone else.

In the case of a Duplicate passport, the markings form must be completed by a Veterinary Surgeon.

Gelding Registrations

If the animal holds a current WPCS passport with the Certificate of Castration on the inside and the UELN (fifteen digit passport number) then the passport does not need to be reprinted.
If there is no UELN then the passport must be reprinted to comply with current UK legal standards; the animal would require microchipping and a new WPCS markings form submitted.

In order to change a colt to a gelding on our system and alter the passport, we require confirmation from a Veterinary Surgeon that the animal is now a gelding. All of our new colt passports have a section inside for a Veterinary Surgeon to sign and stamp to prove that the animal is now a gelding. If the passport does not have this section, a gelding application form will be required. This form is available from the Society office.


Lease forms can be downloaded and printed from the Downloads tab of the WPCS website. This form is for office purposes only and is not legally binding, however, we do advise that you have an official contract drawn up and witnessed by a solicitor to cover both parties involved.


Membership is done purely on an individual basis.

Membership starts from the 1st January each year and runs until the 31st December.

Passports and Registrations

We recommend that you always send your passports by recorded delivery to enable us to trace them more easily. It is possible to purchase recorded delivery from the WPCS website. Alternatively, the Post Office can supply pre-paid envelopes.

If a Pure Bred colt or filly has not been registered before the 30th November in its foaling year, it is now a late registration. In order to register the colt or filly, the Society requires a DNA parentage report, confirming that both the sire and dam are correct.

If the sire or dam has already been DNA tested then they are not required to be tested again. DNA kits can be ordered via the WPCS website or via the office.

Please note, the WPCS Office cannot issue a DNA kit without the registered name of the animal.

Yes, if the pony already has a passport showing the correct information (name, breeding details etc) then the Society can overstamp that passport to prove that it is registered with the Society. An animal should only have one passport.

The WPCS can no longer produce passports for animals born in EU member states. We are able, however, to produce OR certificates for eligible animals – contact the WPCS office for more information.

Duplicate passport forms can be downloaded from our website – Duplicate passport forms must be completed by a veterinary surgeon.

The fee for this is £40 for Members and £70.50 for Non-members. Please note that the Society can only print passports for animals that are registered with the Society and in your ownership.

The WPCS is no longer able to produce duplicate passports for animals registered in EU member states.

No. The registration certificate is not a passport. The Society can produce a passport for the animal on completion of a colour and markings form available from the Society.

No, the Society can only do passports for registered Welsh and Welsh Part Bred animals. In order to register an animal, the Society requires the breeding details (e.g. the name of the sire and the dam and also confirmation from the person who bred the animal).

Yes, all equines are required to have a passport before they can be sold.

Yes. All equines are now required to have an individual passport by the time that they reach 6 months old. If a foal is under 6 months it is allowed to travel with its dam. Please note that all animals are required to have a passport before they can be sold regardless of the animal’s age.

Stallion Licences

The Veterinary Surgeon’s examination of the stallion does not contain a fertility test.

A colt can have a licence refused if a Veterinary Surgeon discovers a hereditary condition such as cataract, defective genital organs, roaring, ringbone, sidebone, bone spavin, shivering, subluxation of the patella, stringhalt and malocclusion of teeth. A colt could also be refused for defective or inferior conformation.

The WPCS can only register foals born by licenced stallions. Colts can be licenced from the age of 2, however there is no maximum age for stallions to be licenced. We suggest that you licence a colt before you use him for covering, as this can cause unnecessary delays with registering foals.

Licence kits can be ordered from the WPCS office or via the WPCS website. We will send you a licence form and a DNA sample kit. We cannot send out kits without receiving the payment in full.

A Veterinary Surgeon must examine the colt to ensure that he is free from any infections and diseases that could be passed to a foal. The Vet must also take a DNA sample from the colt’s mane. This sample will be matched against the DNA profile held for the recorded sire.

The passport must be returned to the WPCS together with the completed veterinary form and the DNA sample. The DNA sample will then be sent securely to the labs to have a parentage test to verify that the colt’s sire is correct.