Frequently Asked Questions 

Passports and Registrations

Q. Do I need to get a passport for my pony?
A. Yes. All equines are now required to have an individual passport by the time that they reach 6 months old. If a foal is under 6 months it is allowed to travel with its dam. Please note that all animals are required to have a passport before they can be sold regardless of the animal’s age.

Q. I want to sell my pony, do I need a passport?
A. Yes, all equines are required to have a passport before they can be sold.

Q. How do I get a passport for my pony?
A. The Society can produce passports for registered animals. A colour and markings form will need to be completed to show the markings of the animal. If the pony has the original registration certificate, then the passport fee is £15.50 for Members and £21.50 for Non-members. If the original certificate has been lost then the fee is £40 for Members and £70.50 for Non-Members for duplicate papers. Marking forms are available from the Society.

Q. I do not know the breeding details for my pony; can I still get a passport for my pony with the WPCS?
A. No, the Society can only do passports for registered Welsh and Welsh Part Bred animals. In order to register an animal, the Society requires the breeding details (e.g. the name of the sire and the dam and also confirmation from the person who bred the animal).

Q. I have a WPCS registration certificate for my pony, does this count as a passport?
A. No. The registration certificate is not a passport. The Society can produce a passport for the animal on completion of a colour and markings form available from the Society. The fee for this is £15.50 for Members and £21.50 for Non-Members.

Q. I have lost my pony’s passport. How can I get a new one?
A. Please send us a letter that confirms the registered name of your animal and request a duplicate set of papers. The fee for this is £40 for Members and £70.50 for Non-members. Please note that the Society can only print passports for animals that are registered with the Society and in your ownership.

Q. How much does it cost to register a pony?
A. The registration fees are as follows:
Pure Bred colt or filly in its foaling year - £22.50 and Non - members - £66
Part Bred colt or filly at any age - Members £22.50 and Non-members – £66

Geldings (Pure Bred and Part Bred at any age):

  • Registering for the first time - Members £22.50 and Non-Members £66 
  • Surrendering old style Certificate - Members £15.50 and Non-Members £62  
  • Re-entry of a Gelding - Free

Q. Will I get a passport when I register my pony with the WPCS?
A. Yes, if the pony already has a passport showing the correct information (name, breeding details etc) then the Society can overstamp that passport to prove that it is registered with the Society. An animal should only have one passport.

Q. What is the procedure for late registration?
A. If a Pure Bred colt or filly has NOT been registered before the 31st December in its foaling year it is now a late registration. In order to register the colt or filly the Society requires that both the sire and the dam are DNA tested along with the colt or filly that is to be registered. If the sire or dam has already been DNA tested then they are not required to be tested again. The Society rules regarding the Late Entry procedure can be found here. A list of the late entry fees can be found here. DNA kits cost £50 per kit. 

Gelding Registrations

Q. I have a gelding, but his passport still says he is a colt, how can I change this?
A. In order to change a colt to a gelding on our system and alter the passport, we require confirmation from a Veterinary Surgeon that the animal is now a gelding. All of our new colt passports have a section inside for a Veterinary Surgeon to sign and stamp to prove that the animal is now a gelding. If the passport does not have this section, a gelding application form will be required. This form is available from the Society office. This service is now free.

Q. When changing a colt to a gelding, do the markings need to be changed?
A. If the animal holds a current WPCS passport with the Certificate of Castration on the inside and the UELN (fifteen digit passport number) then No.  If there is no UELN then the animal would require microchipping and a new markings form submitted.

Colour and Markings

Q. Can I do the markings for my own ponies?
A. The Society allows current members of the Society and owners/breeders who have a prefix registered prior to 1st February 2004 to do the markings for their own ponies; however they cannot do the markings for animals owned by anyone else.

Q. I am a current member of the Society; can I do the markings for my neighbour’s animals?
A. No. Members can only do the markings for their own animals.

Q. Do you accept markings on other Society’s forms?
A. No. We can only accept applications made on our own forms, however if your Vet has completed a different form, you can copy the markings onto our form and include a photocopy of the Vet’s markings form to confirm that they are correct.

Q. My Vet has completed a different markings form; do I need another call out to do the markings on WPCS forms?
A. No. You can copy the Vet’s markings onto our own forms and include a photocopy of the Vet’s markings to confirm that they are correct.

Transfer of Ownership

Q. How much is the transfer of ownership fee?
A. £15 - transfer of ownership should be notified to the Society within 30 days of purchasing the animal.

Q. What information do you require in order to transfer the ownership of an animal?
A. In order to transfer the ownership of an animal, the Society requires written confirmation from the previous owner, the date of sale and the name and address of the new owner. If there is a gap in the ownership records and a previous owner cannot be traced, then a statutory declaration will be required in order to complete the transfer.

Q. What is a statutory declaration?
A. A statutory declaration is a document that has been witnessed by a solicitor that concerns the ownership of a particular animal. It is required by the Society when there are gaps in the recorded ownership of an animal and the previous owners cannot be traced. A sample of a statutory declaration can be found here.

Stallion Licences

Q. How do I licence my colt?
A. In order to licence a colt with the WPCS, the VC1 form must be completed with the details of the colt. The colt must be recorded in the correct owners name on the Society’s records. The licence ensures that the Society can register any offspring in the Welsh Stud Book. A Veterinary Surgeon must also examine the colt to ensure that it is free from any infections and diseases. The Vet must also complete a DNA test (the DNA testing kit is available from the WPCS office with the licence fee). The passport must also be returned to the Society once the Veterinary Surgeon has completed the check. Vet stallion inspection forms (VC2) will be sent out with the DNA testing kit.

Q. How old does a colt need to be before it can be licensed?
A. A colt can be licensed from the age of 2 years.

Q. Do I need to return the passport for my stallion when he’s being licensed?
A. The passport for the stallion needs to be returned to the office in order for the licence to be completed and entered in the passport; this is usually done when the Vet has completed the VC2 examination form.  However if the stallion is not shown in the correct ownership, the passport will be required in order to complete the transfer of ownership before the licence can be completed.

Q. My stallion is older than 2 years, can he still be licensed?
A. Yes, there is no maximum age limit for a stallion licence as long as it can still pass the Veterinary Surgeon’s inspection.

Q. How much does it cost to licence a colt?
A. £188 for Members and £234 for Non-Members.

Q. Does the stallion licence fee include the call out for the Vet?
A. No. The Veterinary fee is the responsibility of the stallion owners.

Q. On what grounds can my colt be refused a licence?
A. A colt can have a licence refused if a Veterinary Surgeon discovers a hereditary disease such as cataract, defective genital organs, roaring, ringbone, sidebone, bone spavin, shivering, subluxation of the patella, stringhalt and malocclusion of teeth. A colt could also be refused for defective or inferior conformation.

Q. Does a licence guarantee that the stallion is fertile?
A. No. The Veterinary Surgeon’s examination of the stallion does not contain a fertility test; therefore the licence does not guarantee that the stallion is fertile.


Q. My pony is on lease, what paperwork do I need to ensure that my pony is safe?
A. The office has lease forms available for stallions, mares and geldings, Lease forms can be found by clicking here. Please note that these documents are not legally binding. We suggest that both parties involved draw up a formal lease agreement in order to set out the terms of the lease clearly.

Q. Should I keep my pony’s passport when I put them on lease/loan?
A. No, the passport should remain with the pony when they go on loan.

Q. How much postage do I need to send my passport?
A. We recommend that you send your passports recorded delivery to enable us to trace them more easily.


Q. Does the Society have a family membership facility?
A. Membership is done purely on an individual basis.

Q. When does the membership run from?
A. Membership starts from the 1st January each year and runs until the 31st December.