Welsh Pony and Cob Society Council Report 4th July 2016
The Council of the Welsh Pony and Cob Society met on Monday 4th of July under the watchful eye of Chair John Kirk. This was the first time that the Council had met since the inaugural meetings of the four sub-committees (Finance & HR, Education and Welfare, Judging and Showing and Member Services and Promotions) and central to the discussions was the reporting of progress against the Society’s aims and objectives for April 2016 to March 2017.
With a clear focus on the wants and needs of the breed, of the membership and the delivery of public benefit the Council discussed the following items:
· The refurbishment of the Royal Welsh Pavilion is progressing to schedule and will be completed in time for the Royal Welsh Show. President Elizabeth French will be cutting the ribbon at an event concluding the International Meeting being held at the Royal Welsh Showground on Sunday 17th of July.
· The Society will be continuing to promote geldings with a Gelding Show to be held at the Society Cob Sales in Builth Wells on Friday the 21st of October; the deletion of the gelding fee has been successfully completed with a very positive response across social media and from members in person and on the telephone
· The Education and Welfare Chair, Ed Gummery, reported that raising awareness of the dangers of obesity in horses and ponies will be the focus of the forthcoming autumn campaign
· Work is progressing on the Society Autumn magazine with editorial and articles currently being submitted by area associations, volunteer publicity officers, trustees and honorary officers.
· The 2017 Journal is entering the pre-planning stage and an external contractor is being sought to edit the journal from September through to the end of January 2017
The Council welcomed Alysha Warburton, the new Promotions Co-ordinator who joined the Society this week. Alysha said: “I am pleased to be joining the Society at such an exciting time and look forward to meeting members out and about at the next few shows”. Members will have the opportunity to meet Alysha at the Pavilion at the Royal Welsh Showground, at the National Welsh Championship Show on the 7th of August and at the Aberaeron Festival of Welsh Ponies and Cobs on the 14th.